Open Jobs at Hurtle Energy
Develops designs, plans, and specifications for construction and development of
District’s capital projects or for outside Developer or Agency. Projects may be
constructed by contract, by in-house forces, or a combination of both.
– Acts as construction inspector or works together with District’s Inspector for both District
and private contract work being performed on or around District facilities, to insure work
is done in accordance with District standards. Offers technical advice to District’s
Maintenance/Construction Department and private contractors.
– Reviews plans submitted by consulting engineers or agency engineers for a Developer or
Agency project. Generates comments which conform to District standards and
coordinates with District’s Water and Maintenance Departments.
– Ensures the safety of District facilities for both the general public and District employees.
Also ensures the District operates its facilities in compliance with all applicable
regulations or contractual obligations.
Our Civil Engineers are responsible for performing tasks requiring the application of standard structural engineering techniques and procedures. This includes standard design of civil/structural project work, assisting lead engineers with various project duties, and other duties as assigned.
Opportunities for our Civil Engineers exist in multiple locations and market segments. Our offices are nationwide but industry work may vary by location. Market segments include Aviation & Federal, Energy, Global Facilities, Oil, Gas, & Chemicals, Transportation, Transmission & Distribution and Water groups. Please see below for information on each market:
Aviation & Federal
Project work includes site development of a wide range of military facilities and/or design of airfield infrastructure type projects including runways, taxiways, and aprons for military, commercial or municipal clients. Some specific tasks of a Civil engineer include but are not limited to:
- Master planning and designing airports and federal installations
- Designing all elements of site development and supporting infrastructure including airfield layout and orientation, facility layout and orientation, vehicular access, pedestrian access, and stormwater management
- Maintaining corporate technical expertise for design, construction, and evaluation for flexible and rigid pavement
- Designing utility systems to support federal facilities, aviation facilities, and fuel system facilities
- Managing construction of airfield pavements and other airport improvement projects
Project work includes developing the infrastructure for electric generating facilities Design will include both construction of new generation facilities and improvements/expansion of existing facilities. Some tasks specific to a civil engineer include:
- Design of electric generating facilities including site layout, grading, storm drainage, Design of roads and railroads in area of facilities
- Designing combustion waste landfills, treatment ponds, water supply and environmental compliance.
- Source emission testing
Our Environmental group performs tasks requiring the application of standard environmental techniques and procedures. Responsibilities include assisting with environmental site assessments, field studies, development of soil and groundwater sampling plans, data analysis, GIS analysis, site remediation, and preparation of environmental reports, permits, and assessments.
- Performing air and noise quality analyses and permitting
- Work with construction and design team throughout process, adapting environmental plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs. Project types include transmission line routing, power generation, construction activities, renewable energy generation and water treatment facilities
- Conduct environment studies, data recording and analysis, prepare permitting applications and summary reports
Project work includes design on sites and facilities in the industries of manufacturing, oil & gas transportation, on-site energy generation, healthcare, research, and commercial and institutional facilities. Example projects include jet aircraft testing and production facilities, fuel truck terminals, central utility plants, hospitals and research labs, university facilities, and commercial buildings. Some specific tasks for a structural engineer in Global Facilities include:
- Perform stormwater work including stormwater management, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, stormwater design, civil works and flood control, and ecosystem restoration.
- Perform site development, site access layout, grading and earthwork calculations, and utility routing and coordination.
- Assist in the development of permitting and final documents.
- Assist in the construction administration process including coordination with field personnel to resolve design related installation issues, the review of contractor shop drawings and calculations, field inspections, and testing of utility systems.
- Assist in performing site evaluations and documenting existing site features and utility systems.
- Assist in the preparation and evaluation of project budgets and cost estimates.
Oil, Gas, & Chemicals
Perform analysis and design of structures for new oil refinery and petrochemical facilities; chemical, biofuel and industrial facilities. Structures include foundation systems and steel structures for: distillation towers, heaters, compressors, pumps, and fans, and building structures; unloading and storage facilities; cooling towers; and underground structures, pipe racks, mechanical and electrical equipment platform structures. Some specific tasks for a civil engineer in the group include:
- Underground gravity piping layout and design
- Site layout for process units
- Paving layout for process units
Transmission & Distribution
Project work includes design of electrical substations; both overhead and underground high-voltage transmission lines. The market is continuing to evolve due to technology advancements and policy changes. Projects partner with utilities to design, plan, and improve the modern electric grid. Civil tasks with the group include:
- Site planning including drainage and storm runoff calculations, retention pond sizing and design, erosion and sedimentation control plan, and developing stormwater prevention pollution plan (SWPPP)
- Developing design criteria requirements for transmission line design
- Modeling transmission lines in 3D modeling software
- Determining geometry, loads, and performance requirements for transmission line structures
- Coordinating strength and geometry requirements for wire support hardware assemblies
- Assisting in the construction executing including development of civil construction specifications, cost estimate preparation, and survey coordination
Project work includes highway design, municipal roadway design, traffic engineering, transportation planning, intelligent transportation systems, and rail engineering. Civil engineering tasks within the group include:
- Design roadway geometrics, roundabouts, and driveways
- Run stormwater calculations for inlet, pipe, and ditch design
- Work on traffic phasing for our traffic control plans
- Begin developing skills in software such as MicroStation, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, HEC-RAS, & OpenRoads
Projects include stormwater design and water and wastewater treatment design. Stormwater work includes stormwater management, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, stormwater design, water resources, civil works and flood control, and ecosystem restoration. Water and Wastewater work includes the design of facilities for water and wastewater collection, distribution, and treatment.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering from an accredited program.
Successful completion of FE/EIT strongly preferred.
Minimum Of a 3.0 GPA Strongly Preferred.
Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
Involvement on campus or in the community.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Demonstrated leadership skills.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently (i.e. without time limitations, without restrictions or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where this position is located.
Job Civil Engineering
Primary Location US-MO-Kansas City
Other Locations US-IL-Downers Grove, US-CO-Denver, US-GA-Atlanta, US-SC-Greenville, US-MO-Saint Louis, US-AZ-Phoenix, US-NJ-Morristown, US-TX-Fort Worth, US-TX-Houston, US-CT-Wallingford, US-VA-Roanoke, US-CA-Brea, US-CA-San Diego, US-VA-Norfolk, US-MN-Minneapolis/St Paul, US-TX-Dallas, US-IL-Chicago
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
About Burns & McDonnell
Burns & McDonnell is making the world a more amazing place with more than 5,000 engineers, architects, construction professionals, scientists and consultants on staff and growing. We strive to create amazing success for our clients and amazing careers for our employee-owners. We take on some of the world’s toughest challenges with the industry’s best thinking.
We have offices and projects spanning the US and the globe. We are proud to rank among FORTUNE magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For. Our culture of 100% employee ownership plays a major role in supporting that outcome. Each employee shares in the ownership of the firm, bringing the commitment of an owner to our projects. Clients appreciate that and have rewarded us with a 90% repeat business rate and decades-long partnerships. Pretty cool for a 100 year old firm that grows organically.
At Burns & McDonnell, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference every day while fulfilling your personal and professional ambitions. Our entrepreneurial culture lets you guide your destiny and shape the path your career travels. And with more than 350 service specialties, your career and development options are abundant.
Burns & McDonnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Town of Cortlandt is seeking to hire a full time Civil Engineer with 3-5 years’ experience primarily in the design and construction administration of drainage improvements, water and sewer infrastructure, storm water pollution prevention plans and highway works.
Applicant shall be able to utilize and be competent with computer assisted drafting (CAD) and geographic information system (GIS) software packages. Applicant will assist the Director of Technical Services in the review of civil site plans for private commercial and residential construction. Applicant will assist senior level engineers in performing inspections as required. Applicant must have strong written and organizational skills. Professional Engineer licensed in the State of NY preferred.
Consideration for those with an Engineer in Training (EIT) Certificate with appropriate experience.
Town of Cortlandt residents preferred. Deadline for application: September 6, 2019.
Upload resume and apply now
The Journal News. Keywords: Civil Engineer, Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY – 10567